It's local - locally owned, operated and supported. It is the only telephone system owned, operated and controlled by Harlan residents. Local control means quicker response to your questions and better service.
One call service for Telephone, Cable TV and High Speed Internet.
One bill for Local Telephone, Cable TV and High Speed Internet. Long distance billing is included when you choose HMU as your carrier.
More of your money stays right here in Harlan working for you. This means more expanded telephone, Cable TV and Internet features and upgrades other towns don't have.
Free calling features. HMU telephone service gives you the choice of choosing from popular calling features such as Call Waiting and Three Way Calling at no additional monthly charge.
HMU telephone customers can receive 120 minutes of free Long Distance per month.
Expanded calling area. Heavy users can call surrounding towns with a discounted calling plan.
Rules & Rates
- Click here to see a brochure listing residential telephone rates and fees
- Click here to see a brochure listing business telephone, cable TV and Internet services
- Click for information on Lifeline
- Click to see HMU services catalog and service terms and conditions
- Click to see standard agreement for local exchange service
- Click to see a brochure listing telephone calling features and how to use them
Lifeline is a plan that assists qualified low-income Iowans by providing a monthly reduction of $9.25 on their local telephone bill.
An applicant must participate in one of the following to be eligible for assistance:
- Medicaid (such as Title XIX/Medical, state supplemental assistance)
- Supplemental Nutritional Asistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal public housing assistance
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- An income below 135% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Temporary assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- National free school lunch program (NSL)